Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Some Christmas Quilts




The first Christmas quilt I made used poinsettia florals on black. I made Sawtooth Star and Christmas Tree blocks. A revised version of the tree blocks was published in the November/December 1994 issue of Quitmaker magazine.


This pattern is found in Handkerchief Quilts by Sharon Newman. 


After I taught myself embroidery I made this 12 Days of Christmas by Betty Alderman. It was not easy doing all those little men in the last block!


This Christmas Tree quilt was a kit quilt my husband saw in a quilt shop and really loved. It is made of small squares that had to be fussy placed. It usually hangs in his office.


The first quilt guild I joined was Patches and Pieces in Jackson, MI. They had a fabric exchange of Christmas fabrics and the following year a Christmas poem printed on fabric was given out for a quilt challenge. The pattern was found in a magazine. I used the exchange fabrics.


Not truly a Christmas quilt, but this star often is on my wall during Advent. The pattern was from Eleanor Burns and I made it in a class at Country Stitches in East Lansing, MI. It was one of the few quilt shop classes I have taken.


 I found this great little pattern on eBay and made two versions.

 

I have used this pattern for a stained glass look quilt several times, once in dark blue for church Advent paraments and this one which I donated to a church bazaar. I think of it as an Advent theme.


I was learning how to use metallic threads when I made this little quilt, which I thought of as and Advent quilt. To me it is about the Light coming into the world. 



I have been lax about updating the quilts hanging in the house. I think this week I will be taking out some Christmas quilts and start decorating the house. 



1 comment: