Saturday, September 20, 2014

Charles Dickens Quilt Top Completed!

Before our move I had purchased the border fabric for my Charles Dickens quilt. This week  I finally was able to add the border! If I EVER finish the quilting of my "Green Heroes" quilt, of which I have one long border left to do, I will hand quilt Dickens next.


I hand embroidered scenes representing Dickens's novels and used fusible appliqué for his portrait which was then thread embellished. Using reproduction and 'older' looking fabrics I set the embroidered blocks together with various squares, triangles, and strips. Totally unplanned, by-the-seat-of-my-pants quilt-making. I tried my hand at hexagon flowers for the first border, then added the final stripped border.

The illustrations came from various sources including my own drawings, original art from the books, and adaptations of clip art or photographs. The titles and Dickens signature are all based on Dickens's own handwritten manuscripts.

I trust I will enjoy quilting this more than my Green Heroes which has a black background border.


No comments:

Post a Comment