Wednesday, January 23, 2019

A Ruby McKim Bird Life Quilt Top

I was thrilled when a Ruby McKim pattern showed up at my quilt group's weekly show and tell. I perked up as soon as I saw that red, and when I saw one of the embroidered blocks I knew right off what my friend had: Bird Life, also called the Audubon Quilt.
The pattern was published in newspapers in 1928. This quilt top is a family heirloom made by a woman who passed in the 1950s. So she likely saved the pattern and made this quilt in the late 20s or early 30s.
The embroidery is amazing. For the penguin, the artist used a strand of white and a strand of black and the iceberg in blue and white.


You can find the pattern newly issued at McKims Studios:
http://www.mckimstudios.com/04treasures/quiltspecial/quiltspecial.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment