Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Maida Heatter; Cookies are Magic and Chocolate is Forever

I used to make Maida Heatter's Blondies for an annual bake sale. My boss would come and buy up the whole plate! They have been a favorite recipe since I bought the Book of Great Cookies in the late 1970s.

Heatter passed away last year at age 102. I am relieved to know that baking desserts did not shorten her life. Because we are in the COVID-19 Lock Down in Michigan and I feel the urge to make cookies and eat chocolate like I haven't felt in years.

And yea! Here are some of Heatter's best recipes for cookies and chocolate desserts being published in new collections!

The instructions begin with all the basics--information on how to read the recipe, select and prepare your ingredients, the equipment needed, even storing your baked goods.

Cookies Are Magic is divided into drop, bar, ice box, rolled, and hand-formed cookies, and 'More!" which includes Madeleines, shortbread, lady fingers, biscotti and, well, more.

You will find Mrs. L.B.J.'s Moonrocks and Giant Ginger Cookies; Georgia Pecan Bars and Florida Lemon Squares; Peanut Butter Pillows and Coconut Cookies; Plan Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies and Checkboards; Kansas Cookies and Charlie Brown's Peanut Cookies.

I love a chewy cookie and am eager to try Oatmeal Molasses Cookies with shredded coconut and nuts.

Chocolate Is Forever includes Simple Cakes; Special Occasion Cakes; Cookies and Bars; Pastries, Pies, Puddings and More; and Candy, Fudge and Chocolate Drinks.

Heatter tells how her Oreo Cookie Cake was inspired by a USA Today reporter telling her that Oreo cookies were the most popular commercial cookies in the world.

Heatter's mother served the F.B.I. Chocolate Layer Cake when J. Edgar Hoover came to dine. He threatened an F.B.I. investigation if he didn't get the recipe!

Who could pass up Positively-the-Absolute-Best-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies? They are my weakness! Turns out that polls show they are America's favorite cookie to make at home. Heatter tweaks the traditional Toll House recipe.

Black-Bottom Pie was a favorite of Pulitzer-Prize winning Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (The Yearling, Cross Creek). Heater agrees and shares a 'glorious' recipe.

I love Heatter's Homemade Chocolate Syrup with 19 drinks and variations! I imagine having it on hand for Chocolate Banana Milkshakes in summer and Hot Mocha in winter.

I am going to get into the kitchen tomorrow and try the country fair prize-winning Buena Vista Loaf Cake, a "plain and wonderful chocolate loaf loaded with fruit, nuts and chocolate chips--almost a fruit cake but not as sweet." With a crunchy crust, I think it will be great with my afternoon cup of tea.

I received free ebooks from the publisher through NetGalley. My review is fair and unbiased.

Chocolate Is Forever: Classic Cakes, Cookies, Pastries, Pies, Puddings, Candies, Confections, and More
by Maida Heatter
Little, Brown and Company
Pub Date: April 7, 2020
ISBN: 9780316460149
PRICE $28.00 (USD)

Cookies Are Magic: Classic Cookies, Brownies, Bars, and More
by Maida Heatter
Little, Brown and Company
Pub Date: April 7, 2020
ISBN: 9780316460187
PRICE $28.00 (USD)

No comments:

Post a Comment