Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Covid-19 Life: News, Books, Quilts

That is the grandpuppy, Sunny, sporting a bandana I made for her and her fur sister Ellie, plus I made matching masks for their adoring parents. Sunny was reunited with her foster mom and fur friend on a visit to a fundraiser for Safe Harbor Animal Rescue.
 Ellie stayed with us that day.

Sunny and Ellie's human mom has a birthday today! My son told me that she loves succulents and wanted a succulent pillow that was no longer available. I didn't have a pattern, but tried my hand at making one. I also found this adorable Baby Cactus quilt pattern to make. It is hand appliqued and machine quilted on my new Bernina 570QE.

I found this adorable fabric for the backing!
I am nearly finished hand quilting the Great Gatsby quilt.


I was shocked to hear from Amazon that I was made an Amazon Vine voice! Such an honor! I thank my review readers for liking my reviews!

Books I won to come from the Book Club Cookbook:

  • The Second Home by Christina Clancy
  • The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner
Also waiting on this giveaway from Goodreads
  • The Great Indoors: The Surprising Science of How Buildings Shape Our Behavior, Health, and Happiness by Emily Anthes
New egalleys received to be read:

  • Good Blood by Julian Guthrie from the BookExpo PW Galley Grab
  • Jack by Marilynne Robinson

Reading Now:

  • The Violence Inside by Chris Murphy
  • The Inheritors by Asako Serizawa
  • His Truth is Marching On by Jon Meacham
  • Sergeant Salinger by Jerome Charyn, J.D. during WWII

Waiting on my TBR Shelf

  • Superman is Not Coming by Erin Brockovich
  • The Writer's Library by Nancy Pearl
  • JFK by Fredrik Logevall
  • Catching the Wind by Neal Gabler, a biography of Robert F. Kennedy
  • Magic Lessons by Alice Hoffman, from her Practical Magic series
  • Missionaries by Phil Klay about America's Forever Wars
  • Eleanor, a biography of Eleanor Roosevelt by David Machaelis
  • The Last American Aristocrat by David S. Brown
  • Nick by Michael Farris Smith, imagines Nick Carraway at war

  • Jo & Laurie by Margaret Stohl and Melissa de la Cruz from Bookish First
  • Moss by Klaus Modick from LibraryThing


My husband bought a new bread machine. It makes huge loaves, so he removes the dough for the second rising and baking.
After a long drought, Michigan has been getting rain. The garden is looking wonderful.

My brother made me a bee house.

My brother and his girlfriend's camping trip to the Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan must have been wonderful, judging by their photographs. Below is Copper Harbor Lighthouse, photo by Martha Kovich.
 She found this art installation.
Returning home, they still enjoy weekend jaunts. Below is the Clinton River in Macomb County, Michigan.

We haven't traveled, but enjoy the views from our own front yard.
I had a scary occurrence and went to the ER, another scary experience in itself. I am fine, the doctor tweaked my medications and I will get my ears checked out. It's good to know that coming up to my sixty-eighth birthday that my heart is in good health.

Stay safe out there. Wear a mask. Avoid crowds. Find the beauty around you.

2 comments:

  1. I immediately ordered the cactus pattern! My daughter's wedding featured many cacti and they have a 5th anniv this winter. This will be perfect.
    Gatsby looks great and congrats on your wins! I enjoy your reviews.
    We spent the weekend at Sleeping Bear (in northern Michigan) and it was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the second person to want this pattern after seeing my quilt! It is so cute and quite easy with the large applique shapes. How great you got away for a weekend.

    ReplyDelete