Wednesday, September 30, 2020

My Literary Quilts Part I: Inspired by Marion Cheever Whiteside

I am a lifelong reader and a quilter since 1991. When I read about the Story Book Quilts of Marion Cheever Whiteside Newton I was inspired.

My introduction was an article by Naida T. Patterson in a 1997 Piecework magazine. 

Peterson's article was based on the Volume 16, 1995 Uncoverings paper on her research into the Story Book Quilts. The quilts were on display at the Museum of the American Quilter's Society at the time.


The Piecework article included applique blocks from the quilts, including Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Christopher Robin, Peter Rabbit, and Little Women.


In 2002, Issue 38, the American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine had an article by Merikay Waldvogel with research from Patterson. The article included a photograph of Marion Cheever Whiteside, Story Book quilt examples, and the original Ladies' Home Journal ads for the quilt patterns.

I searched the Internet for more information, photographs, and patterns.

I purchased two patterns on Etsy from CraftyCharlie that had been scanned from the originals, Little Women and Pinocchio


The Little Women Quilt was published by the Ladies Home Journal in 1952--the year of my birth! It was the first Story Book Quilt I made.

Little Women quilt by Nancy A. Bekofske
Little Women quilt detail by Nancy A. Bekofske

I used Civil War era reproduction fabrics for the applique.
Little Woman quilt detail, by Nancy A. Bekofske

I saw a version at a local quilt show a few years ago. 
Little Women quilt by Rebecca Mangus


It is interesting to see interpretations of the pattern.

Little Women quilt detail by Rebecca Mangus
Little Women quilt detail by Rebecca Mangus

I was able to purchase several original patterns.*

I was in Sixth Grade when I picked up James M. Barrie's Peter Pan books. I had loved the Mary Martin musical that aired on television when a child. When Riley Blake printed Peter Pan fabrics, it was my inspiration to use Newton's patterns to make my own Peter Pan quilt.

The Ladies Home Journal ad for the Peter Pan Quilt

Peter Pan quilt by Nancy A. Bekofke

I did not use all of the patterns in my quilt.
Peter Pan quilt by Nancy A. Bekofske

Early on, I decided to make my own Story Book quilt and chose Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. My appliques were based on copyright free book illustrations, art, and Regency era fashion illustrations and dance manuals.
Pride and Prejudice Story Book Quilt
by Nancy A. Bekofske

The quilt is hand appliqued and hand quilted. I sell the patterns on Etsy.

Pride and Prejudice quilt detail by Nancy A. Bekofske

Pride and Prejudice quilt detail by Nancy A. Bekofske

I then did a Redwork version including some different illustrations.
Regency Redwork quilt by Nancy A. Bekofske
a Pride and Prejudice Story Book Quilt

detail Regency Redwork by Nancy A. Bekofske

detail of Regency Redwork by Nancy A. Bekofske

After reading Maureen Corrigan's book on teaching The Great Gatsby, And So We Read On, I reread F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel. I thought it would make a wonderful Story Book Quilt.

I found fabrics printed at the time of the last movie. I used 1924 advertisement images for the basis of my applique patterns.

The Great Gatsby Story Book Quilt
by Nancy A. Bekofske
Even the eyeglasses!
detail of The Great Gatsby quilt by Nancy A. Bekofske

I may make another Story Book Quilt in the future. Who knows when inspiration may strike?

*Original patterns I have found include The States Flower Quilt, The Circus Quilt, The Fireman Quilt, and Brides of the World Quilt.





Rose Lea Alboum created an Index to Marion Cheever Whiteside Newton and her Story Book Quilts. It is a marvelous resource that includes hand drawn images of the quilt blocks for each quilt.


Finally, here is Marion herself. She was an artist who had a cottage industry of people making the quilts she designed. They sold in New York City to important people including the Eisenhowers and Mrs. Vanderbilt.

You can see an Alice in Wonderland Quilt at the MET website 

No comments:

Post a Comment