Sunday, November 22, 2020

Emily Dickinson's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Iconic Poet by Marta McDowell

 

I purchased Emily Dickinson's Gardening Life by Marta McDowell as part of my reading about Emily Dickinson as I developed a quilt. 

This is a gorgeous book, from the cover and the end papers to the illustrations that fill the pages. 



McDowell incorporates Dickinson's poems flawlessly. 
Readers are taken on a year-long journey into the garden, from early spring to winter, each season telling a part of Emily's life journey. 

It was a joy to read, an escape from lock-down in the early spring, an inspiration as I tended our own garden, and this autumn found me dreaming of visiting The Homestead some day when this pandemic is over.

Chapters include an annotated list of Emily's plants and a visit to her home and garden.

This would be a wonderful Christmas gift for the reader of Dickinson or gardener in your life.

I have McDowell's book All the President's Gardens on Kindle. But after holding this book in my hands, with its lovely artwork and illustrations, the heft of it, I may need to buy a hardcover copy...along with Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment