Saturday, November 24, 2018

Another UFO Finished and Book News

I just bound off a quilt I made 8 years ago and 4 houses ago! It was one of the many tops I took to the long arm quilter, knowing I would never hand quilt all the tops in my stash. 




*****
I have a load of books to read before the end of January! Still, there were two non-review books I had to read. I obtained Bob Woodward's Fear: Trump in the White House through the local library and bought Michelle Obama's Becoming. I read Fear during the day and reserved Becoming for bedtime reading since it would be less likely to disturb my sleep, lol.

Several years ago I reviewed Barren Cove by Ariel S. Winter through NetGalley, a sci-fi novel set in a world run by robots. I loved the book, plus it's a retelling of Wuthering Heights so that made it more dear to my heart. I discovered the paperback edition includes a blurb from MY REVIEW! Added to my bookshelf now.



I was offered two books from the publisher.

Algonquin Books reached out in an email saying, "we saw your glowing review of Emily Ruskovich’s Idaho and think you would really enjoy an upcoming novel of ours, a debut that’s getting a lot of buzz, Sugar Run by Mesha Maren. We’d love to send you an advance copy of Sugar Run. Set in West Virginia, this is a searing story about making a run for another life."  My review will run in a few months, but it is a memorable book.

Atria Books sent me a surprise package with The Falconer by Dana Czapnik. I was uncertain until I started reading. The writing is brilliant! It is about a love-forlorn girl in 1980s NYC who loves basketball.
I won The Cassandra by Shara Shields from LibraryThing. I am eager to begin it, too! Inspired by the Greek myth, it is set during WWII about a woman working in a top secret facility.
I also won The Red Address Book by Sofia Lundberg from Bookish First, still to come. The address book in questions documents everyone Doris has met and loved during her long life.

Other books on my review shelf to be read:

The Last Year of the War by Susan Meissner is about girls who met in a WWII Internment Camp
Tinkers by Paul Harding is a 10th Anniversary edition of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel
The Escape Room by Mehan Goldin a thriller
A Glad Obedience by Water Brueggemann is on hymnody
Learning to See by Elise Hooper is historical fiction on photographer Dorothea Lange
Louisa on the Front Lines by Samantha Seiple is about Louisa May Alcott as a Civil War nurse
Island of Sea Women by Lisa See (The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane)
Overrun by Andrew Reeves is about the Asian Carp threat to the Great Lakes
Finding Dorothy by Elizabeth Letts (The Perfect Horse, The $80 Champion) is about Mrs. L. Frank Baum
Professor Chandra Follows his Bliss by Rajeev Balasubramanyam, a story of a late-life transformation
The Editor is by Stephen Rowley, author of Lily and the Octopus
Saving Meghan by D.J. Palmer is a thriller
Daughter of Molokai by Alan Brennert (Molokai)
*****
It is exciting when books I have read come up for prizes. Here are some that I have been made aware of on social media. My reviews for all of these books can be found on my blog in the "search" bar.

E. C. Huntley notified me that The Tyre was up for the People's Book Prize. 

Spaceman in Bohemia by Jaroslav Kalfar is up for the Arthur B Clark Award and the Dublin Literary Award. Other nominees for the Dubin Literary Award include books I reviewed: Gather the Daughters by Jennie Melamed, The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne, Idaho by Emily Ruskovich, Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout, Tin Man by Sarah Winman, The Resurrection of Joan Ashby by Cherise Wolas; non-review books which I have read include Exit West, The Leavers, The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane, Sing Unburied Sing, and Lincoln in the Bardo.

The Aspen Book Prize includes The Boat People by Sharon Bala, American Marriage by Tayari Jones, and There There by Tommy Orange.

The Southern Book Prize nominees include The Barrowfields by Philip Lewis, The Last Ballad by Wiley Cash, and Grief Cottage by Gail Godwin.

The Costa First Novel Award includes Meet Me at the Museum by Anne Youngson; the Cost Award Shortlist includes The Italian Teacher by Tom Rachman.

100 Notable Books from the New York Times books which I reviewed include American Marriage, The House of Broken Angels, State of Freedom, There There, A View of the Empire at Sunset, Warlight, Calypso, The Library Book, and Patriot Number One: American Dreams in Chinatown.


No comments:

Post a Comment