Friday, September 13, 2019

Apple Butter Time

I made my first batch of apple butter!

I used an apple corer to prepare the apples.
 I kept the apple chunks in water with a touch of lemon juice as I worked.
When I had enough apples prepared I put the apple pieces in a pot with a little water, one or two inches. Then I cooked them on low heat until they were soft.
Because I did not peel the apples first I used a food mill to separate out the skins. I ended up with a quart of applesauce.

I combined apple cider, cinnamon, a cup of sugar, and cloves and the applesauce in a crockpot.
 And cooked it on low all afternoon until thick.
I spooned the apple butter into clean mason jars scalded with hot water. When cool, I put them into the refrigerator.

The next morning I spread it on my husband's homemade whole wheat bread! Heaven!
Now...what to do with the other apples from our tree...

No comments:

Post a Comment