Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Quilts, Books and News

No, I do not need any more books...but who can resist a 50% off deal? I can't. And I dragged my husband along and he found several books as well. 

I tried to get the galley for The Darwin Affair. Miracle Creek has had rave reviews. And Greek to Me had me laughing out loud the first page. My husband has enjoyed Linda Castillo's novels and thought When Life Gives You Lululemons would be a fun read.

Several LibraryThing books had never arrived but an email to the publisher got a great response. I now have Bill McKibben's Falter on my TBR review pile.

And Archeology From Space by Sarah Parcak.

I am reading:
  • America is Immigrants by Sara Novic, a Goodreads win
  • Motherhood So White by Nefertiti Austin, a Book Club Cook Book galley win being read by my library book club 
  • Adventures of the Peculiar Protocol, a new Sherlock Holmes mystery by Nicholas Meyer who wrote the Seven Percent Solution
  • Anti-Diet by Christy Harrison
  • Little Women Cookbook by Wini Moranville and Louisa May Alcott
  • Patchwork Picnic: Simple-To-Piece Blocks that Celebrate the Outdoors by Gracey Larson

Parade Magazine in our weekly Free Press often has a book column. This past Sunday they highlighted This Tender Land by Kent Krueger, a book I loved. My review is coming upon its publication. Krueger is reading the fantastic Virgil Wander by Lief Enger, which I reviewed here.

I shared my 1857 Album quilt at my weekly quilt group and they took some great pics.
I also shared the Halloween table runner I made as a gift.
I used leftover fabric to make placemats to match, shown below with a cute black cat mug I thought could hold candy or an arrangement as a centerpiece.
Close to 30 years ago my dad planted two apple trees next to the patio. Over the last nine years, we have trimmed them back every winter and they have become prolific fruit bearers. This year they did not get the black-spotted fungus and we had a rainy spring and a dry, sunny summer. We have more apples than we can handle. The pic below shows what we gathered in TEN MINUTES!
We will be making apple butter very soon.

And I am enjoying the weekly farm stand in the city part two blocks away.

Last of all, I have joined a fitness center and have signed up to work with a fitness coach! This is taking me out of my comfort zone for sure!
I want to build strength and balance and muscle tone. I have issues with vertigo and also am working with a doctor to deal with it.

What are you up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment