Wednesday, January 22, 2020

WIP, TBR, News

This year I am continuing to work on finishing my UFO projects. I have my Yellow Rose Sampler blocks together and am deciding on the border next. 
I already sewed the Hospital Sketches blocks and am working on an applique border. I have three sides with stem and one flower completed. Also in the pic below are my original Great Gatsby storybook blocks completed so far. I NEED TO FINISH this quilt in 2020!
Last year I started a Dandelion Wine quilt. It looked better in my head. I am not happy with it at all. So I am stalled.
Many years ago when our son was in school I worked on a crayon tinted and embroidered Watership Down quilt. I finally put on a border and am calling it ready to quilt.



My TBR shelf keeps growing! I can't resist...new books...But I know I can handle it. I read eight books in the two weeks of the year.

New on my review shelves are:
  • Bronte's Mistress by Finola Austin is a fictional story based on Branwell Bronte's tragic love affair with his employer's wife.
  • How Beautiful We Were by Imbolo Imbue whose first novel Behold the Dreamers was terrific.
  • Night. Sleep. Death. The Stars. by Joyce Carol Oates. I read all of her 1960 and 1970 novels and a few later ones. I thought it was time to read her again.
Also on my shelf still
  • John Adams Under Fire by Dan Abrams
  • Miss Austen by Gil Hornby
  • The Sin Eater by Megan Campisi
  • Square Haunting by Francesca Wade
  • Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zach
  • The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner
  • Paris Never Leaves by Eileen Feldman
  • American Follies by Norman Lock
  • Beyond the Horizon by Ella Carey
  • Country by Michael Hughes
By the time this is posted I will have finished Frida in America by Celia Stahr and Inland by Tea Obhret.

The Sunday, January 19, 2020, Detroit Free Press ran a story of Michigan Notable Books. I was pleased to see I had been able to read and review quite a few!
Women of the Copper Country by Mary Doria Russell
https://theliteratequilter.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-women-of-copper-country-by-mary.html
A Good American Family by David Maraniss
https://theliteratequilter.blogspot.com/2019/05/a-good-american-familythe-red-scare-and.html
We Hope for Better Things by Erin Bartels

Broke by Jodie Adams Kirshner
The World According to Fannie Davis by Bridgett M. Davis

My friend Linda makes these wonderful pockets that turn mugs into tool holders and I ordered three.


Our new grandpuppy is named Sunny. Here she is caught in a rare moment of rest. She keeps Ellie running! Sunny is a playful and loving mass of puppy energy. Ellie loves romping in the snow. Sunny's first snow left her perplexed. It was up to her chest!
Meanwhile, Hazel has been finding safe places away from the playful pup.

Image may contain: indoor
I received a lovely note from Helen Korngold's nephew's wife thanking me for sharing Helen's diary and for the research about her and her time. "The effort you put into printing the weekly diary entries in aunt Helen's diary was beyond anything we could have imagined--and then to get the additional information from your research gave us an insight into the life and time of the woman we all knew and loved dearly."

I was very touched. I wish I had met Helen, but from the first time I read the first words in the diary I knew she was a fun, intelligent, loving person with great vigor and enthusiasm for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment