Thursday, August 20, 2020

Covid-19 Life: Quilts, Reading, and News

It has been dry in Michigan. We get a good rain then weeks of sunshine and dry weather. So watering the garden becomes a daily task. The bees are all over the flowers, and butterfly and Goldfinch come to the Zinnia.

I have the center of the Waterlily quilt hand appliqued and sewn together! I had to switch the background fabric for the blocks as my first choice did not provide enough contrast.


Somehow I have been busy and not getting in my reading! I have only a few reviews scheduled for the rest of August, but several books I should have read and reviewed.

And the galleys are still coming in...my own fault, of course.
New to my reading list:


  • Day of Days by John Smolens is another on the 1927 school shooting in Bath, Michigan 
  • Brood by Jackie Polzin, compared to Elizabeth Strout in the promo
  • The Invisible Women by Erika Robuck, WWII historical fiction
  • Nora by Nuala O'Connor, fiction about James Joyce's wife

And from Goodreads, a win

  • The Darkest Evening by Ann Cleeves

I am writing a review for Marilynne Robinson's upcoming Gilead novel, Jack, and listening to an audiobook of her novel Lila. And reading Dr. Paula Byrnes The Real Jane Austen: a Life in Small Things.

A friend called me to help her identify a pile of vintage quilts. I donned my mask and went over.

Many were not in very good shape, like this turkey red single Irish Chain.

 Others were very appealing, like this Log Cabin.

 Then there was this stunner, another Log Cabin variation. The fabrics include wool, velvet, cotton, and rayons.
 The chintz backing was this wonderful paisley.


There were a number of scrap quilts, too. I love to look at the vintage fabrics.

How about that sashing fabric!

 Several were tied.


I bought a cement Shiba Inu statue. We are going to finally bury the ashes of our four Shibas, Kili, Kara, Suki, and Kamikaze. 
Sunny and Hazel had a quiet moment on the guest room bed where our son's partner's home office is situated. Hazel likes the Baby Cactus quilt I made!
Ellie had a broken tooth removed, poor girl! She is recovering nicely.
We had a beautiful cool day and invited our son and his girl and the grandpuppies over. They all had a grand time. We visited outdoors, wore masks except to eat. It was a risky thing to do, I know. But I can't go six months without seeing my family.

2 comments:

  1. We've had a few dinners with friends, outside, well-spread around small tables. It's been wonderful to see them and talk. We've also visited my sister at the Lake she lives on. This is definitely the hardest thing about the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete