Thursday, December 3, 2020

Pan-American Exposition Redwork Quilt Top Compete

Years ago I purchased reproduction fabric of Pan-American penny square Redwork blocks reproduced by Blue Hill. I embroidered the blocks and then created additional ones by tracing blocks on my antique Pan-American Redwork quilt. 

I am finishing up UFOs and decided to set these blocks with fabric from my stash. It is not what I envisioned when I started, but it is another quilt top done!

The blocks are set with plain blocks from Buttermilk Basin fabrics left from my Hospital Sketches quilt.

Note President McKinley ant President Theodore Roosevelt are on the quilt along with their wives Edith Roosevelt and Ida McKinley. There were also blocks for George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Buffalo Bill, and a Native American. And, a Buffalo which I suppose stood for the city that hosted the Exposition.

The reproduction blocks included common motifs from the era of children, a mother and child, and natural motifs.

Here is the quilt made with the penny squares sold at the Exposition in 1901.

President McKinley was shot while standing on the steps of the Temple of Music. At his death, Theodore Roosevelt became president.

Buildings for the fair are depicted. Below is the Johnstown Flood.



The Temple of Music "Where President McKinley was shot"


Bostock's Trained Wild Animals was on the Midway

Learn more about the Pan-American Exposition at "A Guide to Buffalo's 1901 Pan-American Exposition" here.

See Thomas Edison's films of the Exposition and President McKinley's death at the Library of Congress here.

Read  my review of The Electrifying Fall of Rainbow City by Margaret Crieghton here. Learn about Tesla's contribution to the electric lighting of the Exposition in Tesla by Richard Munsen.



No comments:

Post a Comment