Monday, November 14, 2016

TBR, Read, and To Be

It's great reviewing books. I have discovered writers who are new and writers who are new to me. I get to read the latest books from favorite writers, and I get to reread beloved writers whose books are coming out in ebook or paperback form. 

I have fewer reviews scheduled until the end of the year, but some great books. 

There is a new biography of Victoria the Queen, books by Rumer Godden, and John Quincy Adams and the Politics of Slavery from NetGalley.

I have American Hero Quilts scheduled and will be writing book reviews on Pennsylvania Pillowcases and WWII Quilts from Schiffer Publications. 

The thriller Behind Closed Doors and the more existential The Mortifications are ARCS whose reviews are also upcoming.


Still to be read are books I won-- The Witches, Spaceman, and The Death and Life of the Great Lakes. I am reading Spaceman now and it's sheer joy. I am eager to read the Egan book, and the Witches I hope to get to after that.



But my TBR bookshelf of real books languish in their bookcase...


Not to mention the hundred of ebooks I have bought. And the book club selections...

Speaking of book club this month we read Black River by S. M. Hulse and she is visiting us via Skype! That is SO COOL. Our librarian is excited too. The club started a year ago and has been a good success. And they said it couldn't be done, well at least the previous librarian did. There were three of us who had asked for a club, and we usually have between eight and twelve out, sometimes more. I read Black River through NetGalley in 2014 and loved it. I hope my club does too.

So of course I went to the library sale and bought more books today!

I had planned to request fewer NetGalley/Edelweiss/First to Read/Blogging for Book books this year. I guess that didn't happen, although now that I'm established as a reviewer I get more wishes granted and can be choosier. And I didn't count on all the books I have won or that were sent to me by publishers! 

Do I care? Not a bit. I've read some great books. I worry about keeping fresh and doing justice to the books in my reviews. I am grateful for all my Goodreads friends, blog readers and Facebook friends who cheer me on with supportive comments.
QUILT ME, they cry. T. S. Eliot awaits
My quilting has slowed down considerably, partly because of the reading and writing, but also because of my doggies. They spent their early life in a puppy mill, popping out babies, living in cages.

Suki is fifteen years old and hates it when I am out of her sight. Kamikaze is likely 11 or 12, and has an enlarged heart. Suki's bladder ain't what it used to be, and Kaze's meds means she drinks loads of water and, well, what goes in must come out. My sewing room is in the basement. These doggies have arthritis and no longer can deal with stairs. We are redecorating a bedroom which will become my office space and work area. The doggies will be happy, I'll be happy, and that means hubby will be happy, too!

Kamikaze and Suki
So that's my read, to be read, and to be list. 

What is yours? Let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment