Monday, February 8, 2021

Covid-19 Life: Books, Quilts, & News

 

I finished the Rebel Girl quilt top! It was a lot of fun to make, especially going into my stash of vintage novelty fabrics. You can find the free pattern by Lisa Flower at PB fabrics




Winter has finally hit for real. We even had to shovel snow this week. We had two days close to forty degrees, which meant long walks, then it has turned bitter cold. Luckily, we have lots of lap quilts in the house.

Sunny is really happier snuggling in bed than on the field. Especially in this cold weather! After Ellie's overnight vet stay last week she had to wear a cone. She kept walking into things, so the kids bought her a toddler shirt to wear!

I feel bad for the robins that returned too early. This one has enjoyed the heated water bowl. 


Last August was to be the 50th class reunion for my high school class. This week we learned that our class president had passed. We were in Seventh Grade together. In art class, I told him about my imaginary friend Homer the Ghost. I said he followed me to school and was sitting in the room. Shaken, he asked the art teacher and she said I was "pulling the wool over his eyes," a saying I had not encountered before. Until the day we graduated, every time he saw me in the school hallways he would greet me with "How's Homer?" In retirement he created digital photographic art.

New books in the mail include Brooklyn On My Mind: Black Visual Artists from the WPA to the Present by Myrah Brown Green from Schiffer Publications. 

And from Amazon Vine I got The Arsonist's City by Hala Alyan.

I am currently reading Silence is a sense by Layla Alammar from Algonquin Books.


Last week our library book club Zoomed with Karen Dionne to talk about her latest thriller set in Michigan's Upper Penninsula, The Wicked Sister. We can't wait for her new book set near Grand Marias on Lake Superior!


The quilters had a Zoom tea party with fourteen in attendance. Only two ladies have received the Covid vaccine, and one is in Florida. We are waiting for notification that our hospital or the county or the local drug store has vaccine and appointment openings.
Its good weather for hibernating, like Sunny and Ellie! Stay safe. Stay warm. Find your bliss.

2 comments: