Saturday, February 27, 2021

Covid-19 Life: Books, Quilts & Vaccinations

On Friday, my husband received his first Covid-19 vaccination. And next Thursday I will get my first vaccination. It is a great feeling, nearly euphoric, after a year in retreat, to know this is the beginning of the end of a very scary time.

I understand that I will be wearing masks and still being careful, but we can schedule our missed eye exams and dental checks without feeling so vulnerable.

My spring reading list has gotten grown to massive proportions! 

I have Finding Freedom by Erin French from BookishFirst. It arrived on bread making day.

I have had numerous books offered to me by publishers and my NetGalley shelf is overfull!

New on my NetGalley shelf:

  • The Man He Became: Roosevelt's Rise from Polio to the Presidency, James Tobin's The Man He Became written for middle school readers. (Tobin is married to the daughter of a couple we knew some years ago. We were given autographed copies of his previous books, Ernie Pyle's War and To Conquer the Air.)
  • The Coffin Ship: Life and Death at Sea during the Great Irish Famine by Clan McMahon
  • Highway Blue by Alisa McFarlane, a novel about 'being lost and found'
  • That Summer by Jennifer Weiner, whose Big Summer I read last year
  • Lincoln in Private: What His Most Personal Reflections Tell Us About Our Greatest President by Ronald C. White
  • The Secret History of Home Economics: How Trailblazing Women Harnessed the Power of Home and Changed the Way We Live by Danielle Drelinger
  • Thief of Souls by Brian Klingborg, a mystery
  • The Remnants of Summer by Dawn Newton, a coming of age novel set in Michigan

These books join the others already on my shelves. Which, to remind you, include

  • The Bookseller of Florence by Ross King
  • Astrid Sees All by Natalie Standford
  • The Sound Between the Notes by Barbara Linn Probst
  • Eleanor in the Village: Eleanor Roosevelt's Search for Freedom and Identity in New York's Greenwich Village by Jan Jarboe Russell 
  • Light Perpetual by Frances Spufford
  • The Ride of her Life by Elizabeth Letts
  • Republic of Detours: How the New Deal Paid Broke Writers to Rediscover America by Scott Borchert
  • The Reason for the Darkness: Edgar Allan Poe and the Forging of American Science by John Tresch
  • Infinite Country by Patricia Engel
  • Blind Spots: Why Students Fail and the Science that Can Save Them by Kimberly Nix Berens
This is daunting!

Still, I sew on.

I finished the Nancy apron.

And I machine quilted the mushroom embroidery and vintage fabric quilt.

I have the backing for the Water Lily quilt and the Rebel Girl quilt! I am going to be a machine quilting machine.

We grew basil by seed and they are finally looking like they will survive! They are in a metal box that I painted some years ago.


This week I Zoomed to hear Diane Rehm talk about her new book through the National Writer Series. Next month I will join them again to see Imbolo Mbue, whose Behold the Dreamers and  How Beautiful We Were  I have read.

Our March library book is Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney--who will join us on Zoom!
Gus the cat got very curious when our son racked the snow off the roof.
But Sunny was chill.
I have to also have a pic of Ellie. This is from last winter when she was obsessed with squirrels.
That's all the news from The Literate Quilter.

Stay safe. Find your bliss. Spring will come and so will the end of the pandemic.

5 comments:

  1. Yay for the vaccinations. My husband got his first a couple of weeks ago and I got mine Thursday. When I noticed in your last COVID post that you hadn’t been notified, I was going to say, “Hang in there. It will be soon.” I feel like our state is rolling along now. The volunteers at the Health Dept clinic where we got ours were so joyful. I had flashbacks to getting the sugar cube polio vaccine when I was a kid. It was like a big party at our local fire station. I had the same feeling for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Michigan finally has gotten hold of more vaccines! We look forward to April when we can schedule missed appointments (a year ago!) for eye doctor and dentist, and we will wear masks but actually go into a store during senior hours. Wow, I forgot about sugar cubes.

      Delete
  2. You've got a lot of reading to do! I have admired Diane Rehm since her days on NPR. Some of the other writers in the series sound good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rehm introduced us to so many fascinating people! She gave my hubby ideas for books to gift me.
      I’ll have to read hard these next months!

      Delete
  3. I don't know how you read all those books - so envious - but I am glad you'll continue to have good health to accomplish it all!

    ReplyDelete