Sunday, February 14, 2021

Covid-19 Life: New Books On the Shelf, Happy Valentines Day

 

My brother gave me a book store gift card for Christmas and I finally decided to use it. I bought Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell and The Address Book: What Street Addresses Revel About Identity, Race, Wealth and Power by Deidre Mask, both of which I failed to obtain as galleys or ARCs.

Not that I have nothing to read!

New on my NetGalley shelf are:

  • The Reason for the Darkness: Edgar Allen Poe and the Forging of American Science by John Tresch
  • Republic of Detours : How the New Deal Paid Broke Writers to Rediscover America by Scott Borchert
  • The Ride of Her Life: The True Story of a Woman, Her Horse, and Their Last Chance Journey Across America by Elizabeth Letts. I have read and reviewed her last novel Finding Dorothy and her previous book The Eighty-Dollar Champion
  • Light Perpetual a novel by Frances Spufford whose previous novel On Golden Hill I reviewed and whose nonfiction book I May Be Some Time: Ice and the English Imagination is one of my all-time favorite books.
From Goodreads I won
  • Infinite Country, a novel by Patricia Engel, set in Columbia
From Bookish First is coming
  • Finding Freedom by Erin French, a memoir
I am currently reading (still) A Promised Land by Barack Obama, The Arsonist's City by Hayla Alyan, and Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. I also need to do a quick read over of Miracle Creek by Angie Kim for book club on February 17--Angie is going to Zoom with us, too!

I finished a quilt that has been hanging around because I was not thrilled with it, it just wasn't what I had imagined it would be. It started with the fantastic fabric of dandelions which reminded me of Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine. I embroidered a favorite line from the book and sewed on shiny sequins representing fire flies coming from the mason jar.



Sunny and Ellie send Valentine kisses to all. Stay safe. Find your bliss.

2 comments:

  1. I love Ray Hradbury too. And the two pups look like excellent kissers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunny covers everyone in kisses. Ellie is shyer and will just touch you with her paw and look deeply into your eyes until you scratch her back.

      Delete