Saturday, March 27, 2021

A Mystery Quilt Block

One of the Clawson Quilting Sisters brought fifty quilt blocks that had belonged to her mother and which she has had for decades. She was hoping I could tell her something about them.

The blocks were machine pieced except for the y-seams which were hand pieced. The pink prints and white fabric are in good condition, silky, a good quality, and not at all brittle.
Because the fabrics were a fine quality, I did not believe they dated to the Depression Era, but perhaps late 20th c.

First, I checked out Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Blocks. There were blocks similar, but they had outer pieces and the star was positioned differently. My friend's blocks has the points of the star meeting the pieced while bar center.
I shared the photos to the Facebook group Quilts Antique and Vintage. And I searched online.

I found a block called the Road to Florida, or Florida.
The diagram below shows the pieced bars that look like my friend's blocks. But...the star points are differently placed.


Here is the block, called Florida
I was asked if the star were hand appliqued and positioned differently, but it is not.

One FB quilter suggested the block was Stars and Bars, and I found this example online. Still not exactly like my friend's quilt blocks.


Again, similar, with more quilt pieces and still with the star positioned differently.

I will keep looking.

2 comments:

  1. I have a vintage family quilt, "Florida" At the time I was living in Miami, but visited Alabama where I was given this quilt. I was so surprised at the time to find out the name and how appropriate it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! It would be a complicated pattern to make...at least, for me!

      Delete